Good morning and Happy Monday. Many job-seekers start writing their resume on Monday. Forget, for a moment, that if you want to start a new habit, starting on a Monday is not the best idea (more to come on that later). Today, just be sure you haven't put any of these 11 things on your resume:
- Objective - I know your objective, it's to get an interview, and probably a job
- Your height and weight - unless you're a model going after a modeling job
- Your picture - again, unless you're a model
- The year you graduated high school - and for that matter, unless you graduated in the last two years, just take it off altogether
- Your hobbies - unless they are professional in nature and relate specifically to the job
- "References Provided Upon Request" - of course you'll provide them upon request, you don't need to say so on your resume
- Your salary history - save this for the cover letter, and only if requested
- Every job you've ever had, ever - your resume is a marketing document, highlighting your experience, not every single job you've ever had
- Your typing speed - if the job for which you are applying requires a certain typing speed, add it to your cover letter
- Your Twitter handle or Facebook address, unless you're applying for one of those "Social Media Guru" jobs
- Objective - yes, this one deserves to be on here twice, don't take up space on your resume to tell me something I don't care about
Have a great week.
Best of luck to you with your resume.